Sunday, July 22, 2007

Moving Our Datacenter In-House

Hi Everyone,

Reimagine Memories started life on our personal computers, specifically Dan's machine (Our CTO), where he hosted the site during our first months of development. As we entered the alpha stage of development I purchased an old E-Machine Computer from a friend for $100 that finally gave us a dedicated computer for our site. My great ISP, DSLExtreme, allows for sites to be hosted through their DSL connection, which is exactly what I did. I ran some wire to the back of a closet in my family room, and hooked up the E-Machine Computer, and then we began to offer hosting services to our first testing members (TBSUnion.com). A month or so after moving the server to my house my Vonage phone that runs through the same Internet connection began to stop working, and causal browsing had become slow and difficult due to how much traffic we were getting. I soon began looking for an outside service to host with, and that's when I was referred to a local place only minutes from my house. After visiting many data centers around the state I decided to choose SiteServer, and bought a new server to put into their data center.

Now after a nearly a year at SiteServer as Reimagine Memories has now finally opened to the public and is offering premium services we have made the decision to move the servers back into our offices. We have always had the back-up servers here, but want to move the primary servers here as well now that are able to get Business Cable from TimeWarner at an economical cost for a faster speed than we currently get at SiteServer. The transition will be happening during the month of August, and users should not be interrupted at all by the move as we are planning for a no downtime transition.

If you have any questions about the move just ask.

Thank you for your membership,

-Brad Jashinsky
CEO/Co-Founder of
Reimagine Memories


P.S. Here are some pictures of our first server rack from APC:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These types of problem arise when you are dealing with computer problem. Data center moving job require some professional help which I took when was doing my own companies data shift to another place just few miles away.

Data Center Moving