Sunday, March 11, 2007

DNS Problems (Use http://69.36.94.211)

Hi Everyone,

Quite an early morning this morning with the combination of server alerts being sent to my phone and the whole daylight saving's time change problem. Getting the text messages to my phone (From the amazing service Host-Tracker.com) first alerted me to there being a problem. Host-Tracker has servers all over the country that ping my site every minute and send me a text message the minute the site doesn't ping back. The next indication was the few emails I had gotten from different band fan sites that use my service asking me what was going on. It's about 7:30 in the morning at this point on a Sunday and my mind is just racing since I know there's a big problem here and trying to get in-touch with other members of the team would be hard if not near impossible.

I try the site out myself and receive the same server not found error as everyone else who had emailed me reported. I then pull up the list of our ip addresses that I keep both in a text document and in a sticky note on Dashboard. To my amazement the site is up and running perfectly when I type in the ip address. Then it dawns on me; the DNS servers are messed up because of the early time change. This is quite ironic as we had been joking about this being another fake media scare just like the Y2K scare. Unfortunately, this was real and had taken down our site among others that I tried to visit. My next step was to call GoDaddy to double-check my hypothesis since they host all of our domains.

Go-Daddy is quite an amazing company despite what I hear about them on Digg and other tech news sites. I've never had a problem with them in anyway and today was no different. I sat on hold for about 5 minutes and then spoke to a support technician. I immediately described my problem and even in my half-asleep state he still understood my problem right away without having to transfer me to someone else. He informed me that the Internet was only at about 70-80% capacity worldwide due to DNS servers at ISPs having problems due to the time change. This would explain why other sites I tried to visit had the same problem as RM was having.

Anyway, that was my morning and after sending emails off with new link pages up and running with the ip address hard-coded in everything is resolved for now. I was told that the domain should be working sometime today. Depending on where you live and who your ISP is it may be working already. I know that in parts of Europe RM is working fine while here in California we can't get to the site using the domain name. Sorry for any inconveniences this has caused; I wish this was in our hands, but unfortunately it's not.

Use http://69.36.94.211 to access the site until the problem is resolved.

Thanks for using ReimagineMemories.com,

-Brad

2 comments:

bbrown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bbrown said...

Here's what happened, so you know.